In the area of the toads Coming from Brescia along the Sabbia Valley and Caffaro state road, you pass Lavenone and reach Idro (hamlet Pieve Vecchia); park the car near the tourist office and the junction for Capovalle. Start pedalling towards Capovalle crossing the bridge over the Chiese and after nearly one and a half kilometres, when the road starts to rise uphill slightly, you turn left towards Vesta, a hamlet in the municipality of Idro, which is the destination of this itinerary. After a few hundred metres from this crossroads, between Lemprato and Crone (you can also follow a cycle path near the lake), you pass by the side of the parish church of S. Michele, with its original portal, its one-nave interior and precious works of art in wood. After Crone, the road follows the edge of the lake and you come to the first tunnel, pass Vantone and then pass through two more tunnels. Several small valleys join the stretch of road that follow: this area is an important reproduction site for the numerous population of common toad. Underpasses and protective barriers have been realized to protect these creatures when crossing the road. Continuing along the side of the lake, you reach Vesta and its shore, where some interesting tourist routes start. Here, you turn back and return to Pieve Vecchia along the same the route you followed as on the way there.Route map
- DEPARTURE AND ARRIVAL POINT Idro, car park by the side of the state road near the tourist office.
- HOW TO GET THERE From Brescia along the Caffaro state road.
- LENGTH 17 km
- ROUTE Easy, for everyone.
- TO SEE Idro: the ancient parish church containing Roman inscriptions and frescoes, the parish church of San Michele.
- LOCAL EVENTS Idro: the last Sunday in July “Festa di mezza estate” – a midsummer festival.